Friday 21 September 2007

On Fire !

I got to go to Methodist District Synod for the first time the other Saturday… a privilege of my new appointment.
On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is duty and 10 is delight…. I was told it might be 3 or 4. But I’d rate it more like 7 or 8. Well worth the day out.

Interestingly, from the beginning of the day to the end, one theme would not go away…...

At the beginning, the host, the local Epworth Minister, welcomed us by saying; ‘In the event of earthly fire…..this is what you do……(Fire Exits etc). In the event of Heavenly fire, you will know what to do.’
Would we?
There are a number of instances recorded in the Bible of fire coming down from heaven….usually to consume people or things. My first thought was ‘I wouldn’t be here to know what to do.’
But I think the events which gave rise to his statement are those in The Acts of The Apostles Chapter 2. Look it up in your Bible…the Apostles certainly did know what to do when the fire of the Holy Spirit came on them.

Early in the day we were shown pictures of Haven Bank Methodist Chapel in the south of the County which had burned to the ground….I almost said ‘sadly’, but no…. for one thing they are insured, and secondly there is nothing like a disaster of this ilk to bring out the best in folk. Someone once said, ‘The real church is what is left when the building burns to the ground’.

Later, we had a presentation about Epworth Old Rectory with a painting of John Wesley being rescued from the burning house, ‘as a brand from the burning’. His mother was immediately convinced that God had great plans for his life.

Already fired up, during lunch I saw some cards for sale on which were quotations from John Wesley, including:
‘Catch fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn.’
‘It pleased God to kindle a fire which I trust shall never be extinguished.’
as well as the well known ‘I felt my heart strangely warmed………’

A prayer from the Philippines was included in the worship at the end of the day:
Lord, remind us of the truth
That if we would be as lights in the world
We must also endure the burning.


Ignited yet? If not, read this:
http://www.jesus.org.uk/ja/mag_revivalfires_chadwick.shtml

No comments: