Wednesday 26 September 2007

Jesus in Me

I was talking with a friend the other day about how the way we live as Christians has a powerful influence on the world around us, far beyond our ability to comprehend. This is a combination of the Holy Spirit working in and through us and our daily determination to live like Jesus in obedience to His will.

Jerry Goebel writes:

“I see Jesus in everything you do.”

Would it be possible to hear a compliment greater than this? Are our lives so illustrative of Christ that someone could tell that we were Christians without our words, symbols, or bumper stickers? He tells us to; “Love one another as I have loved you.” He is the only religious leader who personalised the Golden Rule. He doesn’t just say; “Love others like you want to be loved.” He says; “Love others like I loved you!”

Is my life so illustrative of God’s love that:

1. Someone would be able to follow me to the places I go each day and say; “His life shows the priorities of Christ.”

2. I could dare invite someone to follow me from morning 'til night for a month so they could see how a Christ-Follower lives each day?”

3. Someone could drive behind my car from one place to the next and say; “His driving models Jesus.”
(IF ONLY!)

4. Someone would be able to walk fifteen paces behind me and see a change in the faces that I walk by? Would they see me saying a kind word to strangers, offering a loving gesture to the elderly, sharing prayer and assistance to the downhearted? If someone were fifteen paces behind me, would he hear people make comments like; “I like him.” Or, “He always has a kind word to say to me.”

Does my life model the statement attributed to Francis of Assisi: “Preach the Gospel at all times; if necessary use words.”

The statement of Jesus is truly amazing, try as I might, I would never have the audacity to say; “Watch what I do and replicate it; that will get you to heaven.” Yet, He, after three incredible years of intense living with his disciples is able to tell them; “Look at everything I have done. How I have loved you, how I have loved others—everything you have seen. Live like that and you will know God.”


from http://onefamilyoutreach.com/bible/John/jn_15_9-17.html (edited)

No comments: