Tuesday 23 October 2007

Blow me


Returning home on my bike via Horkstow Bridge, I got a puncture….not an instant flat but a slow air leak. Holmes Lane has the very slightest incline, but it began to feel like a serious uphill climb before I looked down to see a deflating tyre. I pumped it up and got past Ermine Street before the struggle began again. By the time I arrived home the tyre was just about flat and I too was seriously short of air!

Modern tyres used to be called ‘pneumatic’ to differentiate them from the early solid tyres. The word is derived from the Greek ‘pneuma’ meaning wind, air, breath or spirit. The Bible uses ‘pneuma’ to describe the Holy Spirit…the breath of God.

I wonder if, like me, you have discovered that without the pneuma of the Holy Spirit everything you do is flat and you end up exhausted?

With a new tyre and tube and plenty of pneuma there’s no holding me back…

No comments: