Monday 8 October 2007

Alison's Psalm

A friend wrote this recently:

A PSALM OF THANKSGIVING FOR MY PARENTS
Both my parents have passed away in the last two months. I was going to write a lament, but was surprised to find that I wrote a thanksgiving. I found the process of doing this very healing.


O Holy God, I thank you that you are my Heavenly Father,
unceasingly directing, protecting and upholding me.
I thank you for the gift of my earthly parents,
for their love, their guidance and their strength.
I thank you that you led Mum to introduce me to you,
as she showed me your ways through teaching and example.
I thank you for the faith that Mum and I shared;
for the privilege of this strengthening bond in her final days.
I thank you for the loving family life I was born in to;
a reflection of the fellowship of your whole family on earth.
I thank you for the arguments, the rows and the debates
that formed me, and allowed me the freedom to doubt and to question.
I thank you for the continuous encouragement and affirmation they gave,
as ever you, my Eternal Father, sustain and support me.
I thank you that as I turned from cared for into carer
you gave me the courage and assurance to make those life-changing decisions.
I thank you, Lord, that you took them home together
in testimony to their unbroken bond of love.
Lord, despite your love and their love, I still feel battered and bruised,
Yet I know that your mercy will continue to uphold me.
I am full of sorrow, of tears and of pain,
yet I know you will use these to give me courage and compassion.
I praise and thank you, O Lord, Eternal Father, Healing God,
and pray that all will know the unending blessings of your love.

No comments: