Tuesday 5 February 2008

Get this Prayer Classic




Whatever book you may choose to read on the subject of PRAYER, you will find in it somewhere reference to a book which came out way back in 1931; 'Prayer' by O.Hallesby*. This is a wonderful Christian Classic. I have a 1951 hardback copy given to me in my teens (no I wasn't in my teens in 1951 !) by my old Sunday School teacher. I have included various quotes below. The book appears to be in print again. Do get a copy. Your prayer life will never be the same.
Hallesby quotes:
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. Revelation 3:20
I doubt I know of a passage in the whole Bible which throws greater light upon prayer than this one does. It is, it seems to me, the key which opens the door into the holy and blessed realm of prayer. To pray is to let Jesus into our hearts. This teaches us, in the first place, that it is not our prayer which moves the Lord Jesus. It is Jesus who moves us to pray. He knocks. Thereby He makes known His desire to come in to us. Our prayers are always a result of Jesus' knocking at our hearts' doors.
Prayer is an attitude of our hearts, an attitude of mind....

What is this spiritual condition?

What is that attitude of heart which God recognizes as prayer? I would mention two things.

In the first place, helplessness. As far as I can see, prayer has been ordained only for the helpless. It is the last resort of the helpless. Indeed, the very last way out. We try everything before we finally resort to prayer.
Secondly, faith.
It is written, 'But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.' Hebrews 11:6.

Without faith there can be no prayer, no matter how great our helplessness may be. Helplessness united with faith produces prayer....

You have more faith than you think you have. You have enough faith to pray; you have enough faith to believe that you will be heard. Faith is a strange thing; it often conceals itself in such a way that we can neither see nor find it....
Prayer consists simply in telling God day by day in what ways we are helpless.... Only he who is helpless can truly pray.... Helplessness united with faith produces prayer.
To pray is nothing more involved than to let Jesus into our needs. To pray is to give Jesus permission to employ His powers in the alleviation of our distress. To pray is to let Jesus glorify His name in the midst of our needs.

There come times when I have nothing more to tell God. If I were to continue to pray in words, I would have to repeat what I have already said. At such times it is wonderful to say to God, "May I be in Thy presence, Lord? I have nothing more to say to Thee, but I do love to be in Thy presence.

The secret prayer chamber is a bloody battle ground. Here violent and decisive battles are fought out. Here the fate of souls for time and eternity is determined, in quietude and solitude, without another soul as spectator or listener.

See to it, night and day, that you pray for your children. Then you will leave them a great legacy of answers to prayer, which will follow them all the days of their life. Then you may calmly and with a good conscience depart from them, even though you may not leave them a great deal of material wealth.

No comments: